Tuesday, September 2, 2008

seeing things #1

Beauty is subjective. This is the beauty I like--a little raw, a little scraped off. All artwork not my own.


It's like a nightmare, and yet it's so sad that you want to hold it close.


I like white space, a lot of it. 

I like ambiguous fairytales told with disturbing lines. Somebody is eating somebody else, somebody is afraid, but who? 


Paper engineering is, sometimes, everything. I learnt that the hard way in year one.

What makes this image is the shape of it. And the absence of just enough.

And flatness: so gustav klimt, so egon schiele, so whitewash-over-an-underpainting. I hate gradient colouring. Let everything be pressed and pasted on walls.

This is the time for new images to be born. Every new phase has life of its own. I watch with amazement as lines and people come spilling out of the pen. It's time to stop seeing things, and let the pen bring forth what it will. 

No comments: