Sunday, September 7, 2008

Brunch insights

early sketches


I had a talk with my mother over brunch. She told me about her mother walking out on her father when he turned violent. "That taught us that we can say no to abuse," she said. Later on she moved back, and the family's story ends happily.

But what was irrevocably reaped from this episode was education. She said, "I knew what I must do if my husband ever beat me. It takes generations to learn this. In my grandmother's time women were 'oh he beat me but I cannot tell anyone, it's a shame. Only a broken rib, at least I'm alive.' Three generations down, now you won't even marry a man who perms his hair."

I swear that's my mother's exaggeration. But I get it. Silently suffering abuse is hereditary too, because children watch and learn.

By the end of lunch, I had grown a beehive of thoughts. This campaign could be educational.

No comments: