Thursday, April 5, 2012

None Compares

Finally i got to unwrap this: first complete album art. Printed, packaged, shrinkwrapped!
St John-St Margaret's Church approached me to do album art for this 40th anniversary original compilation cd. The brief was simply that the musical arrangements would be pared down, minimal, and devotional.

I started with the concept of stripping away the clutter of manmade life, to find that none compares to God--"None Compares" being the title of the album. So the slipcover of clutter is literally removed to reveal the title and a pure, velvety smooth surface.

The CD, hidden behind a pure white crescent.

Another starting point for the project was a box-collage I did for my mother's birthday. At the start of each of the three sections of the book, I put in this collage, made with individual cutouts stuck in a shoebox and then photographed. I tried to layer it digitally too, but some things just have to be done in the flesh.



The last spread.

One album down, one more to come out of the press!

No comments: