Thursday, August 28, 2008

String: an exercise




Explorations with that roll of white string. I don’t like cute chubby stiff string, I like thin scrawls of membrane that look alive and floating. Shot on a light table in the workshop.

How will this relate to my fyp? String is such a basic metaphor that almost any story can be told about knots (the default troublemakers in any situation). It’s not easy to be original with a ball of string. I may or may not use the knot metaphor because of that.

But if I did, this is my string story: if you don’t unravel the knots as they form, they’ll remain unpicked as other knots form. Again, could be said about any other issue in the world.

I much prefer to look at the nervous quality of the string, how alive and how floating it looks cuddled up as a nest, and how similar it is to my own scrawled handwriting.

Helping with Jane Lee and Paolo for the biennale, which should teach me a thing or twenty about installations and the working process. It’s worth skipping class for, and my meetings with them will be up on this blog too.

No comments: